Recipe: Bay Street Buddha Bowl
Enjoy a nourishing plant-based meal with this warm and healthy vegan dish!
(n). a bowl which is packed so full (of goodness) that it has a rounded ‘belly’ appearance.
This vibrant vegan dish features chickpea frittata in a stewed pepper sauce with freshly sliced fennel, beech mushrooms, boiled buckwheat, sprouted lentils, edamame, and a sprinkling of hemp hearts. This dish not only looks and tastes great, but it will leave you feeling even better!
Want to learn how to recreate this dish at home? Read on for Chef Miheer’s not-so-secret recipe!
Bay Street Buddha Bowl
- 1 Spanish onion, sliced
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and sliced into fry shapes
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¾ cup chickpea flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 150g canned roasted red peppers
- ½ tsp oregano
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- ¼ cup fennel, sliced
- ¼ cup beech mushrooms, sautéed
- 2½ tbsp buckwheat, boiled
- 2½ tbsp sprouted lentils, boiled
- 1 tbsp edamame
- 1 tsp hemp hearts
- pea shoots
- Caramelize half of the onion in 2 tbsp of olive oil (this will take approximately 20 minutes). Place the caramelized onions on a sheet tray to cool.
- Blanch the potatoes in water until they are cooked. Remove from the water and place them on a sheet tray to cool.
- Combine the baking powder, chickpea flour, salt and paprika in a large mixing bowl.
- Once the onion and potatoes are cool, add them to the mixing bowl.
- Add water to the bowl and mix the ingredients well, making sure there are no lumps.
- Transfer the bowl contents to a sheet tray lined with parchment paper and mold into rectangular shapes. Place the tray in the oven for 20 minutes at 400°F. With the help of a skewer, you can check to make sure the center is cooked.
Stewed Pepper Sauce
- Sauté the other half of the onion and all the garlic with 2 tbsp of olive oil in a pot over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, julienne the canned roasted red peppers and add them to the pot with the onion and garlic.
- Add the oregano, rosemary and a small amount of liquid from the canned red peppers.
- Let the ingredients simmer in the pot for 30 minutes.
- Take the pot off the heat and blend the ingredients with a hand blender until you achieve a chunky consistency.
- Place the sauce and the frittatas on a plate.
- Add the fennel, beech mushrooms, boiled buckwheat, sprouted lentils and edamame on top.
- Garnish with the hemp hearts and pea shoots. Enjoy!